Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Keep out the bugs...


 Do you ever get tired of bugs getting into your drink when having a picnic or sitting by the pool in the summer time? I do!!! I saw something like this on Pinterest last year and made some, and thought I'd do some others and share them with you. Super easy and you can customize them for any theme. If you treat them with care, I suppose you could reuse them. So, here's my drink lid.


I cut a 4 inch circle on my cutting machine first off. Then I cut some designer paper with the doily die from MCT. Then I cut another circle using my Nestabilities and picked one that fit the center of the doily the best. On top of that I cut the scallop and stitched circle dies. 

First I centered the scallop/circle...the top pieces...centered them, and used my eyelet setter and cut the hole right in the center. Then I laid those, centered over the next larger circle, and punched another hole. Repeat this till all holes are cut, right in the centers of ever layer.

I added foam dimensionals under the scallop/circle layer on the very top. Attached that to the next layer down.  All of the other layers are just glued down, no dimensionals. 


I cut out a few of the butterflies using the die. I coiled a bit of wire and hot glued it under the edge of the scallop/circle piece...the top layer. I also used hot glue to attach the butterflies to the wire. I used two and sandwiched the wire in between.  I stretched the wire out a bit to let them "fly". I also tied a bit of hemp around the straw. 

Here's a pic without the straw so you can get a look at how I made it. Hopefully it gives you a better look.


I hope you like these and will give them a try. Would be super cute to do stars and stripes and a patriotic theme for your July 4th picnic! Your guests will love them, and you can even send them home as picnic favors! Pick your theme and run with it.

Here's what I used to make these.

Nestabilities or Circle cutter

So, there you have it. Gather up your supplies and make some cute drink lids of your own. Your guests will talk about them long after and comment how nice it was not to have to bat the bees out of their lemonade! Happy crafting!






6 comments :

  1. GREAT project idea Cheryl,looks sooo CUTE!!!Have a SUPER day my friend!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea and super cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very crafty idea. Cute fun and bye to the buggies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bugs wanting a drink have to be the worse part of eating outside. What a cute cover with the butterflies and all...very clever idea. If you want them to last longer maybe they can be run through a ?? (heats and encloses paper in plastic). Super job!
    quilt 4 fun 2 at hot mail dot com

    ReplyDelete